Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Works for Me Wednesday: Homemade Coconut Milk

One of these days I'm going to get my act together (that's partly what this blog is about, anyhow, homeschooling while living real life) and take pictures, or better yet, hire Youngest to take pictures for the blog as I'm doing things.

Unfortunately, today is not that day. I made coconut milk this morning. No pictures were taken. Please build mental images of a (Blendtec) blender, unsweetened coconut flakes, and water all working together to create a creamy, frothy result.

We're out of (cow's) milk, and a couple of people in the family have gone dairy free anyhow, so I've been making alternative milks from almonds, cashews, and finally, coconut.

Almond milk has received the best feedback, but it's also the most expensive. Cashew milk works in recipes, but has "an unpleasant bitter aftertaste" in tea or coffee. (I didn't notice bitterness, myself, but my coffee that day did remind me of hazelnut creamer -- and I don't care for hazelnuts.)

Coconut milk has better flavor, but I've noticed that people were consistently leaving the last 1/3 to 1/4 of a cup of beverage. The reason? Residue. (Cashew milk has a similar problem.) For some reason, people around here don't care to chew their coffee or tea.

This morning I hit on the solution of pouring the coconut milk through a tea strainer. Still turns the tea or coffee a lovely milky white, adds body to the beverage, but not so much body that you have to chew the last few sips.

It really tastes good (unfiltered, even) on muesli, too.


Check out more great Works-for-Me-Wednesday ideas at We are THAT family!

No comments:

Post a Comment